The School of Music at the University of Kansas strives to offer a comprehensive array of programs of study at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels. The School offers required coursework to students wishing to pursue a profession in music or those pursuing related programs of study on campus. The School also offers elective opportunities for music study to the overall student body.
The School of Music seeks to nurture and advance the art of music through creation, performance, scholarly inquiry, entrepreneurship and enhancement of the artistic skills and experiences of the University and regional cultural communities. Nurturing and advancement occur via outstanding teaching, mentorship, quality research and creative endeavors and service to professional and lay constituencies.
The School is a major contributor to the arts community through student, faculty, and professional performances in Swarthout Recital Hall, Bales Organ Recital Hall, the Robert Baustian Theatre and the Lied Center of Kansas.
The University of Kansas is a charter member of the National Association of Schools of Music (1928) and is the only institution authorized by the Kansas Board of Regents to grant doctoral degrees in music. The KU School of Music, located in Lawrence, KS, was ranked in the top 50 public universities in the nation for best educational value, according to Princeton Review (2010).
Piano FacultyA listing of piano faculty can be found here.
Undergraduate Performance Major (B.M.) Audition RequirementsAll selections must be played from memory. One piece from each of the following categories:
1. Baroque: a Prelude and Fugue by J.S. Bach from The Well-Tempered Clavier, Books I or II
2. Classical: a complete multi-movement sonata by a Classical composer, up to and including Schubert
3. Romantic: a major solo work by Chopin, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schumann or Liszt
4. Contemporary: a work from the 20th or 21st Centuries. Works by Impressionistic composers are acceptable in this category
5. Etude: a virtuoso etude
Undergraduate Music Education (B.M.E.-ME), Music Therapy (B.M.E.-MT), Bachelor of Arts in Music (B.A.), or Music Composition, Music Theory, Musicology (B.M. or B.A.), or Music Minor Audition RequirementsThree selections, two of which must be played from memory:
• any work by Bach
• any movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert
• any contrasting work from the Romantic, Impressionist, or 20th Century periods
Schedule a Disklavier Audition